Sunday, October 11, 2009

So Grateful

Don't. Ask. For ANYthing.

This was the refrain that my mom would recite when taking me and my sister into a store. Grocery store. Clothing store. Convenience store. She was kind not to torture us with toy stores unless we could get something, but that was rare. This has been so ingrained in me, that I have a hard time asking for things in general. There might be other reasons, but this seems logical.

Like when my dad took my sister and Paul and I up to Estes Park one summer day a few years ago. Estes is a tourist town with lots of little shops. Alicia and I admired jewelry and some art, and Paul liked a sports shirt. Paul asked me if he could get it, and I said no because we weren't making much money then. My dad got it for him. Alicia and I, who hadn't asked for anything, didn't get anything. It never occurred to us to ask. So we just jokingly pestered Paul for weeks afterward about how Dad liked him better than us.

That's maybe not the best example, but it's pretty representative. I don't like to ask for help, for gifts, for anything. I can do or get things on my own, and if I can't get it for myself, I don't need it. This drives Paul crazy, because I'm stingy with myself. If Paul says he needs a pair of jeans, we go get them. I'll live with my jeans until they fall apart. I just realized this week that my one black skirt is getting a little worn. I've had it for seven years. Who knows when I'll get around to getting a new one, as long as I can make this one work.

You might be wondering what this has to do with a blog on discernment. (Sorry, awkward segue.) But, this affects my prayer life too.

I keep a prayer journal. Every night, I write kind of like Anne Frank did to her diary Kitty, but I write to God. I start with being thankful for something from my day, and then I ask for things, always for others. For example tonight's entry will probably look something like this:

Thanks for the warm fall day today, and the cool night last night. Sleeping with windows open is great! Tonight I pray for ____, my single friends who want companionship, my family, ____, Trinity, and for my student who's having a rough time. Thank you for all the blessings I have, like my marriage and my pets who are cuddled around me.

Sometimes my entries are longer, but for each prayer, I hold the person or people in my heart for a moment before writing the next prayer. The closest I get to asking for things for myself is usually to ask for things for both Paul and I, like help with budgeting, or with s fight we've had.

It's not that I don't need anything. Far from it. And it's not that I am so great I can't use some help. In fact, there are a lot of things in my life that only God can help me with. Like being patient. Or keeping a reign on my swearing. Or knowing what to do in any given moment. Or being kind to people who really, really bother me. There's plenty. But for some reason I find it hard to ask.

I talked about this with my spiritual director, Carol, today. She's written a book on prayer, and she's working on one about personal prayer, asking for God for things for ourselves. She admitted that it can be hard to pray for ourselves, for as easy as it is to pray for others. I at least seven people, if not more, that I pray for each night, and sometimes whole groups of people, like Iraqis or soldiers if I've heard that there's been an attack or a disaster somewhere. But it's hard for some people to tell God, "Hey, I need some help with this," or admit that we're worthy of the same help we ask for others. I think part of it is that I know I've got it good in this life. I have a house, a husband, health, food, and fun stuff. I have friends who are missing any one of things, and thus, I'm not as worthy of prayer as they are.

One of the blessings of spiritual direction, is that the person doing the directing is also doing a lot of praying. Carol starts our sessions with silent prayer, and usually I start talking to god as I do in my journal, saying thanks for things, and thinking about the people who I know need prayer. But at the end, after we've talked about what's going on, and she's given me some ideas, she prays aloud for me. She says my name, and asks God for all things we've talked about. She asks God to give me patience, and wisdom and blessings. She asks for help my students to be open, for me to know how to help them. And it feels so good, like getting a present, for her to do that for me.

I'm going to start trying to ask for things for myself, not extravagant things, but things I need, like patience and wisdom. We'll see how it goes. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to it, and see where things go from there.

No comments: