Friday, October 23, 2009

Top Ten Reasons to give to Trinity (or any other places that do God's work in the world!)

10. I like to be warm in the winter and see when it’s dark. Paying utility bills helps that.

9. I think our wine is pretty good. The regular Sunday stuff isn’t bad, and at holidays we get good port. Anyone want to have to drink Mad Dog or Boone’s Farm? I think not.

8. Books. I love books. I like that our hymnals and prayer books are in good shape without coloring, split bindings, etc. We are able to replace books when they get really ratty because we have some budget for that. Otherwise, we’d be taping pages in and hoping for the best when Fr. Charlie calls out page numbers.

7. Napkins and coffee. We can wash our reusable coffee cups and dishes, but who wants to reuse coffee grounds? And cloth napkins, while elegant, would be impossible. Yeay for napkins! And that brings up

6. Toilet paper. Definite hooray for toilet paper!

5. Fr. Charlie’s sermons. While services would much shorter if we didn’t have a priest, and that might be a blessing on really hot days in summer, I learn a lot from Fr. Charlie’s sermons. Come to think of it, I enjoy Fr. Charlie for other things too. And he gets paid for this. Without pledges, we wouldn’t have him, so I’m also adding

4. Fr. Charlie’s blessings at the altar rail.

3. Fr. Charlie’s being in his office during the week to help keep things going around here.

2. Our buildings. I love old buildings, but Paul and I didn’t buy an old house because we knew that they cost a lot to upkeep and we are not talented at things like plumbing and electrical work. I help Trinity with my pledge to keep the furnace running, the roof on and water running. No one wants me to climb to the ceiling to repair lights, but I can help pay the person who gets hired to do that.

1. I am called to pledge. Even when things are tough, I know I am called to help Trinity as part of my community. The Sandwich Board, the immigration help, the coffee hours and potlucks, the dances and classes and retreats and conferences and meetings and my friends here at Trinity need each other. And they need financial help. Even though my husband Paul lost his job this year, we kept up with our pledge because Trinity means so much to us. It can be hard, but it makes us feel good knowing that we help keep Trinity afloat. Please pray for Trinity. Pray about giving of your time and talent. And pray about how much to pledge to Trinity this year. Even a small monthly amount can add up. Trinity needs me and you to help keep going and be a beacon of hope in Aurora.

To give to Trinity, go to Trinity's Website

No comments: